Saturday, January 15, 2011

grandma's crumb cake: the taste test


This recipe worked really well for the most part and I was very satisfied with the results. On Monday, I brought some of the crumb cake with me to my office. The response from my coworkers was very positive and everyone told me it was really delicious. I was a fan of the crumb cake as well, but I'm also my own worst critic, so I had two small complaints.

My first complaint was that I found the cake to be a little too fluffy for my own preferences. When I tried a piece Saturday night after the crumb cake cooled it was falling apart in my hands. However, by Monday afternoon when I had my second piece, the cake was now a little denser. By that time, it had been in its Tupperwear container for two days and I think some of the butter from the crumbs had seeped down into the cake. Maybe the key to this crumb cake is to make it ahead of time. If it’s to be served to guests at brunch, go ahead and bake it the night before so it has some time to settle afterwards. Also, I felt the crumbs had too much of a strong taste of cinnamon. Perhaps the powdered sugar I had accidentally overlooked would have cut that flavor, or perhaps next time, I’ll just cut back a tad on the cinnamon.

Besides those two minor criticisms, the cake was delicious and having it reminded me of Sunday morning visits to my grandparents' house. I think Grandma would be very proud.

1 comment:

  1. I say HOORAY! for your baking efforts and I challenge you to not use any pre-made mixes in your next recipe. Especially now that you have a hand mixer, following a recipe and measuring out the flour, sugar, salt etc. on your own will be totes easy, involve fewer weird chemicals, and earn you WAY more pride than cake-in-a-box. :)

    Also:
    1. I feel like you picked the hardest frosting ever to make. Seriously, no frosting I've ever made has involved cooking/heat except if it was to melt some chocolate. So, don't give up on frosting, I'm saying. Maybe just go for a basic buttercream next time.
    2. you SHOULD drink while you cook. Not too much but . . . don't knock it. ;)

    Have fun! Looking forward to the next project!!

    ReplyDelete