Sunday, January 9, 2011

first! an introduction


Welcome to my blog, a boy bakes in brooklyn. I’ve started this blog to document my attempt to become more comfortable and competent while baking. I consider myself pretty skilled when it comes to cooking, but baking has always felt like a completely different process altogether. It includes lots of additional hardware and gadgets that the limited space in my one-bedroom apartment and the budget from the salary at my low-level corporate job just don’t allow. Baking requires exact measurements and sometimes, exact processes, like whipping egg whites to a proper consistency or folding said egg whites into another mixture. The idea that the smallest misstep while baking can completely destroy an entire project is daunting and also one of the reasons I’ve stayed away in the past.

But no more.

There are too many people in my life who bake well, and I am determined to become a member of that group. My plan is to spend each Saturday this year baking. I’ll blog about my experience on Sundays and report back later in the week with results from my taste-testers. I plan on starting with some very simple recipes using pre-mixes or other shortcuts, but my intention is to eventually move away from these. I know that as someone who is as comfortable in the kitchen as I am, and as someone who lives in Brooklyn – self-proclaimed home of the DIY food movement – should turn his nose up at using store-bought mixes, but these early projects are more about building confidence, practicing, and evaluating what is missing from my kitchen that will enable me to bake.

That said, I’m glad you’re reading this and are along with me on this journey. Please feel free to offer encouragement or suggestions in the comments of each post.

- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment