Wednesday, February 23, 2011

a quick mid-week update

Some of you may have noticed that I stopped publishing a taste test follow-up post on my last two projects. It was becoming a little cumbersome to always ensure that I had time to write a thoughtful follow-up during the week – sometimes life can just get a little too hectic. Also, I felt as though my posts felt a little unfinished without including the experience of eating the baked goods along with the experience of baking. Sometimes it will mean I'll be posting just a little later than Sundays, but the last couple weeks I've been late and no one’s complained too loudly.

Also, a long overdue thank you is in order to my Uncle Bob who sent me a new baking cookbook to pull recipes from. It's aptly titled The Big Book of Baking.


Most of the recipes are fairly simple to execute, but even better in that it has lots of really helpful tips for new bakers and a pretty nice glossary, too. I'm really excited to try out some of the recipes that are in it. There's one for red velvet cake – a personal favorite of mine – that looks delicious, as well as a checkerboard sponge cake that, if I can pull it off, will seriously impress all of you. Here's hoping I can make it happen!

And a quick preview of things to come: last weekend I baked bread for the first time and will be posting about the experience soon. Also, last Friday was my Mom's birthday. Since she and my Dad skipped town for the weekend, we'll be celebrating this weekend, so you know I'll be baking her something special to commemorate the occasion. I'm hoping I'll be back onto a normal baking/posting schedule by then, but the Academy Awards could get in the way, we'll see!

Thanks for reading!

- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment